5 Rules To Pre Holiday De-bloat
It’s amazing how much can be achieved by eating the right foods and making a few small changes. Don’t let any feelings of sluggishness or heaviness caused by bloating get in the way of starting the year on a high. Follow our 5 rules to de-bloating which we hope will help you to feeling light, happy, healthy and… flat tummied!
1. Make your first drink of the morning a hot water with the juice of a lemon. This will cleanse your system and aid with digestion.
2. Replace fatty red meats with fish, lean cuts of white meat and eggs. Basically, fats take longer for our bodies to digest than proteins and carbohydrates. Red meats have a higher fat content than white meats. Therefore, red meats take much longer to digest and can stay in our stomachs for too long which causes gases to be produced and therefore bloating. Choosing leaner meats and fish will also reduce cholesterol levels and fish will give you the added benefits of omega 3’s, good for glossy hair and glowing skin!
3. Cut out wheat. This includes bread, pasta, cakes, pastries, beer, soy sauce. Wheat is difficult for our bodies to break down and causes the production of gases which press on the walls of our intestines. There are a variety of foods you can eat which are wheat free including oats, quinoa, buckwheat, rice and lots of delicious vegetables!
4. Avoid fizzy drinks. Apart from the fact that most fizzy drinks have lots of hidden sugars in them, the gas used to make them fizzy will cause bloating in your tummy. Instead opt for herbal teas such as peppermint tea. Peppermint tea is frequently used to relieve discomfort caused by indigestion, gas and flatulence. It has been proven to relax the gut muscles, allowing gas to pass more smoothly and it may exert a calming effect on the stomach allowing food to digest faster.
5. Avoid dairy. Some of us digest dairy better than others. Most of us though lack the enzyme which breaks down lactose which is the sugar found in milk. Anything which our body finds difficult to digest will cause gassiness, tightness and bloating so if you feel that dairy is a cause to this then use one of the many delicious alternatives such as Coyo yoghurt, rice and almond milks.
Here’s to a happy and healthy holiday tummy!